when i was 11 or so i learnt what “voltage” is.
i used to build things by soldering cables and resistors and LEDs and build small circuits (following instructions at first, later doing my own designs which were pretty simple of course). at some point in those early days i remember asking myself why was i sticking to 9V batteries and not using the electricity sockets in the walls, just like the TV set was doing. so i plugged the little LED + resistor to the 220V socket in the wall and i blew the fuses of my house, burn the LED and got a 2 seconds electrocution that felt like an intense bite in my fingers all simultaneously. it was intense (no pun intended), and from there on i started reading about voltage and having a deeper understanding of basic electronics. and more importantly, i learn to never stick anything in those sockets or touch non isolated wires with my bare fingers ever again.
now, the plugs of my apartment have a little plastic protection to prevent kids from going through the same experience. and i guess that is good. but a little old-and-grumpy-man’s voice inside me feels that maybe it’s preventing kids from learning a powerful lesson? isn’t there some vaccine effect in the experience? nah. maybe i lost too many neurons in those experiences and i can’t reason clearly anymore.